Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Reviews and other stories of Nine Lives

Today was very funny. While writing my third book, I decided to take a break and check out my book online. It's what us new authors do, hoping to make the New York Times or something incredible. Ah, but the book is still only making way, out of the dust pile of a million other books. Someday . . .

What did make me laugh, was a review of the book today. The first thing mentioned was that the book smelled like oatmeal. Oatmeal! She was kind enough to add that it was oatmeal with a dash of cinnamon but oatmeal? So I took a copy, that I just happened to have beside me and held it to my nose. Sure enough, the book had a slight scent of oatmeal if I imagined it. I don't eat oatmeal normally but if I did, it would be with a dash of cinnamon, raisins, walnuts and brown sugar.

I thought her review was very good, although the three stars out of five were not the greatest. At least she was honest and mentioned enjoying the book, comparing me to the great Stephen King. I have noticed quite a few comments about my style being similar to Stephen King. I suppose it's because he is my favorite writer and it's been reflected in my own writing style. I don't think I actually sat down and tried to write like him. It just kind of flowed out of me. Anyways, I was happy to be able to surprise her by giving her my own little twists.

Check out Angie Lisle's review and this wonderful after thought. Prunes?

No comments:

Post a Comment