Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Places in my stories

I find it interesting to note that nobody has asked me about the places in my stories. The first book took place in Crystal Lake, Illinois. Now, I live not far from there but the actual town in my book was very different from the actual. I wanted a small town. A place mixed with new and old. Somewhere that still had a small town feeling to it yet was being overtaken by the large corporate jungle that is taking over America. The story was not actually based in Crystal Lake, though I would like people to believe it was. It was actually a place made up in my head. I mixed a few places I know together, making up the town of Crystal Lake as it appears in my book. This is fiction people.

So why do I bring this up? Well, I noted a review from someone mentioning they used to live near Crystal Lake and it was nothing like the place they knew. Hopefully, it wasn't. You see, that's the great thing about writing a book. I can make it whatever I want it to be.


I loved writing my own little Crystal Lake. It had so many places put together in one little town. The house above was one example. It was similar to the type of home I wanted in Crystal Lake. I imagined a large home on a lake, like the one in this picture of a home on Lake Michigan, near Chicago. It was an old, refurbished home.


I can't wait until people familiar with the town of Mount Prospect, read my next book. The Bartello is based in the small town I grew up in. I guess it isn't so small anymore but that's how I remember it. I don't believe the town has any caves but, needless to say, it does in my book.


I hope you all enjoy reading my book and remember, its fiction. (next up, more sightings of cats after reading my book . . . and yes, I am serious).


One last note. I do plan on making return trips to the small town of Crystal Lake. After writing, Nine Lives, I came up with some great ideas for some related stories. Just remember, its the one I made.

No comments:

Post a Comment