Thursday, February 16, 2012

Writing a horror novel can sometimes be a real thriller

I started off writing a horror story and ended up with a thriller. Maybe it was the other way around and I wrote a thriller and ended up with a horror story. Either way, I feel my book falls into both categories. I wanted the story to be scary but the more I got into the book, the more it started coming to life. I think thats one great thing about writing but here are a couple more:

Great stories actually have a meaning to them. I started off with a story about a cat and ended up writing about things that were inside my head. That sounds so simple doesn't it? I have talked to more people about books with this, "really neat ending." Well, that's great but was it a book you will remember or want to read again? Is it a book that will make you wonder? Is it a book that inspired you? I am not a fan of depressing books and although books with a neat catch to them may be fun, I am not going to be thinking about it once the surprise is over. I want a book that leaves me thinking. Something that has inspired me to be a better person.

Another thing I learned about writing is that a story can unfold in different ways. When I wrote Nine Lives, I had a plan. By the time I ended the book, it was completely different then what I imagined. Next blog I am going to tell you what happened with the organization. It was actually pretty cool I think.

Until next time,

George

No comments:

Post a Comment